Hari Raya in Singapore: Maintain Relationship with Neighbor Through Food

 

Hari Raya in Singapore; my little gifts for my neighbors - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

When we move to another country and start to live with locals, the first question is how your relationship with neighbors? At least it is the question that I have received even before moving to Singapore. "How we can adapt" "how we can survive in an alien land" et cetera... We didn't know anyone in Singapore, it was completely strangers around us. However, we managed to make a new book and write a happy story about it!.✌😊 Knowing the people, culture, and tradition, it is my wonderful journey, including the Hari Raya celebration in Singapore.

Thousand layer cake from our neighbor - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

When I was 16 years old I moved to another province and live in an unfamiliar city to pursue my academics. Since that day, I have always learned how to adapt to a new environment, meeting new people, learn their culture et Cetera. It wasn't easy at first because the city where I completed my Bachelor's Degree was different where the place I came from, their people, behavior, culture, and tradition, language, and so are the foods. But I am proud of myself that I survived. In order to survive, I had to live like locals. And I am glad, because of my positive attitude, I have family friends there! Whenever I visited (before the Coronavirus situation) that city, we also made a visit to this special family.

A rainbow cake from our neighbor - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Talking about Hari Raya in Singapore, it is a Muslim celebration in Singapore after fasting a month! Many say it is Hari Raya Puasa, "puasa" means fasting. Or we can call it "New Year for Muslims." Last week, 13th May 2021 was Hari Raya Puasa. The interesting thing is how to celebrate this special occasion during the pandemic? 

Fruity cake from our neighbor - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

If you are following The Journey of Ichi's Family, instantly you know our tradition with our neighbor. We do exchange foods/ snacks/ or another gift to celebrate 3 different festive seasons, there are Chinese New Year, Christmas, and Hari Raya. In general, I prepare 3 times gifts for my neighbor on each occasion. Basically, cookies or cake is a common gift and people would love it. However, it doesn't mean we can't give another present, for instance, fruit, tea or coffee, noodles, or handicraft. All those options are acceptable in our community. In another word, it is a proper gift.

My neighbor gave us custard puff - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

Who would the first person start to give a gift? It doesn't matter, whether my neighbor first or I am first. I think a week before Hari Raya one of my neighbors knocked on our door. She sent us 3 distinctive cakes! Wow! 3 cakes! She said, "Happy New Year!" Of course, we received these cakes with happiness and we were thinking about how we would finish those special cakes because our big eater (my brother) couldn't go home this year.😅 A few days later, another neighbor appeared at the front door when we ate dinner. She brought a bottle of syrup, a cake, and macaron! I was surprised and a little bit worry because I didn't have anything at home to give her back. Well, no need to worry, after all, we are neighbors, when we want to give something to our neighbors, it means we just want to share and spread happiness and joy during a special occasion. That's what I call to maintain our relationship with neighbors through food. I had learned about it a long time ago when I lived in my hometown where exchange foods between neighbors were a common tradition to celebrate special occasions, regardless of race, religion, and language. The next day, another neighbor visited us and brought cakes for us. So, we had lots of cakes at home!😅😄

Mangoes, syrup, cake, and a macaron from our neighbor - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

2 days before Hari Raya, we went to the hypermarket nearby and found out if any ideas to make a gift for our neighbor who lives on the same floor. Why only on the same floor, what about another friend? Well, before the coronavirus year, we made a visit to our friend's flat who lives in another district. Nowadays, if we are able to send a cake then we send it, but if the situation quite hard, we just send a message. Why? Due to the COVID-19 situation, the government advises to stay home as much as possible since the case in community rises and among them is a new variant from India. To be honest, my husband and I go out only to buy groceries, and sometimes medicines. Back to the topic, so we decided to make a little gift; there was the apple, tea, and hair accessories & brooches that designed by me. Those hair accessories are headbands, hair claws, and also brooches. Additionally, we gave pork meat to one of my neighbors. That was our little gift for our neighbor.

Mocca cake from our neighbor - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

How we sent our gift during the pandemic since our government makes strict rules to control the spread in the community? Of course, we just hang it out at the door and sent a message; or we knock on their door, gave the gift, a few minutes of chat to ask how they do, then went home. That's is? Yes! We didn't enter their home, just enough on the front door, and practice safe distancing. I know, it looks awkward, but we want to play our part to keep our community (friend and family) safe and healthy. To win this battle we have to fight together, that's the spirit in Singapore.💪🙂

This was how Hari Raya in Singapore this year. We do not look at the background, we just want to spread happiness with others. Like another celebration, we exchange food/ cake/ snacks as a gift in order to make this special occasion more colorful; just beautiful like a rainbow!🌈 Moreover, by sharing foods we can maintain relationships with neighbors!🌞🥰

Note:

  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographs anywhere else without permission





No comments:

Post a Comment

After 2 Years of Stepping Down, Where is Ichikraft Now?

About two years ago, I made the decision that the Ichikraft Etsy shop closed temporarily. However, even until this day, I am still with the ...