Making DIY 4-layer mask with felt as non-woven material


4-layer maks designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The world changes rapidly and so are we. Since the Covid-19 struck our world last year wearing a mask is compulsory which means we have to buy it just like groceries that need them every day. The money will involve and the big question is "how much money do we need to spend on masks?" At this point by making DIY masks becomes popular and trigger many people more creative every day to design DIY mask. On top of that, the biggest question is how to make a proper handmade mask against the Covid-19 virus by using unexpensive material?


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The first thing that I thought in my mind was how poor families could afford masks. If you are following my Ichikraft Give and Care blog then immediately you know the family who lives in poverty have always been struggling to earn money every day just to provide food. With a wage range between $15 - $ 40 a month, it's virtually impossible to buy masks for their family. Which one they choose, buying masks to protect them or buying foods to fill their stomach? Who will take full responsibility for their real issues? 


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

I came out with the idea by using felt as non-woven material to substitute surgical masks. I believe many of you know that surgical mask material is a nonwoven material. Where the idea from? First of all, I would like to say that felt is a common material for my handiwork. Basically, since I have started my business, this material tags along with me which means I used to use it. In January 2020, we had a shortage of masks in the market. Believe me, at that time we couldn't find masks everywhere. Feeling desperate, of course, but it is not my personality if I just give up so easily before finding a solution. The first mask I made was 1-layer masks to cover the mount. The second mask that I made was 4-layer masks with nonwoven and cotton material inside. At this point, I have used felt which I believe do the same work as a surgical mask. However, before decided use felt as a nonwoven material, I did a search by googling what kind of nonwoven material is. That's how I found out and made a decision to create the 4-layer mask by using felt and cotton inside. After almost a year since the second mask I created, I have made my third mask and they are still 4-layer with felt and cotton inside, but in a different design. 


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The cotton inside the mask that I have made is our t-shirt. Well, sometimes we have some clothes that we do not use it anymore. Why do I need to add cotton inside? What I have believed is that more layers are more protection. White cotton is my choice because it won't absorb the heat compared to dark colors, for instance, black, dark blue et cetera.


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The DIY 4-layer mask that I have made is hand sew. Even if hand sew but still I can produce acceptable masks. I wish I have a sewing machine at home, unfortunately haven't. For me, whether have it or not, I am still capable to create something useful with my hands. Challenging my limit is my motivation that can push my creativity beyond. Well, I could say my work is not bad 😁 


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The front and back layer is pattern fabric, the second layer is felt, the third layer is cotton material. If you are following my article then instantly you know that I have made this kind of mask since March 2020 and it becomes my standard that we can make easy at home and use it to protect us against the Covid-19 virus. Indeed, it just my assumption without any prove properly such as to conduct research, but this kind of mask will useful for people who live in poverty. That's my dedication to finding solutions for poor people in the pandemic situation. Not only them but also for me😊 I am happy that I do not need to spend some money on masks every month. Believe it or not, I haven't used my money to buy masks, not a single one. 


4-layer mask designed by Acik Mardhiyanti - Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti

The vantages about this particular mask are cheaper materials that affordable for poor people, easy to make at home as long have a needle and thread, and washable with distinctive caution because we deal with felt; remember do not wash this mask in the washing machine. After hand washes with detergent, we can soak it into disinfectant. It sounds good, right? 

Sometimes we just need to creative and willing to learn something else rather than only complaining about so many things. I think we should thank this unprecedented crisis because we are reborn as a stronger person to get through this situation. Keep your courage, embrace it, we can make it!

Note:
  • Written by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Photographed by Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permission
  • Do not reuse these photographed anywhere else without permission  




No comments:

Post a Comment

After 2 Years of Stepping Down, Where is Ichikraft Now?

About two years ago, I made the decision that the Ichikraft Etsy shop closed temporarily. However, even until this day, I am still with the ...