New Year Tradition In Japan

image_20150106033513452

I believe, Journey is not only when you get in somewhere or another place/ country to holiday or travel. But, when you get any information or something that you’ve known before, it called “journey” too. And now, I want to share with you guys…about new year tradition in Japan. Yeah…even I haven’t travelled in there yet, but I have Japanese friend who like to share about their culture.

Yeah…new year…it’s just coming. So, what have you done when new year come??…Believe me, I have never celebrated new year as special party. Maybe it’s not our culture or maybe it’s not my family tradition. But one thing about new year, it’s a “hope” for me, hope that I must hard work to get my dream. Yeah…new year it’s a new hope, and it will bring new spirit that we must doing anything much better that last year.

In Japan, new year is special day. is it, right??…When new year comes, school and office take day off to celebrate it. Many Japanese people would travel in another city or another island to visit their parent and family. Yes ofcourse, they would celebrate new year together with their family. Sounds special tradition, right??…One of my Japanese friend told me, she and her husband visited their parent in another island to celebrate new year.

So, is any special things with new year tradition in Japan??…Sure, it is!! I think these are unique and very interesting traditions. There are very beautiful culture.  it that why I’d love to write it and share with you guys…What is it??..What kind tradition it is. What are you thinking??….If you have gone to Japan and know about new year tradition in there, how lucky you guys…But if you have never knew before, I would love to tell you about these traditionsBe right back

image_20150106034213372

The first, it’s about Kadomatsu. What, Kadomatsu, what is it actually??…when my friend post her picture, I thought it is just the ordinary flower arrangement. But when I asked her, she told me, it’s Kadomatsu. My friend told me, it’s a traditional Japanese decoration of the new year that placed in front of homes to welcome a new God/ ancestral spirit to the house, called Kami. Because in the old time, they (Japanese people) believed, the God lodged at the tree. So it’s that why they mark it with this arrangement. Designs of Kadomatsu it’s depending on region, but are typically made of bamboo, pine, and plum flower (artificial flower) which represent longevity, prosperity, steadfastness, respectively. And I have read, the fundamental function of the new year ceremonies is to honour and receive deity who will bring a bountiful harvest for farmers and bestow the ancestor’s blessing on everyone.

Kadomatsu would placed after Christmas until January 7 or January 15. After January 15, the Kadomatsu is burned to appeal the Kami or deity and release them. One of Japanese friend told me, now, many young Japanese generation are not displayed it. The Kadomatsu have shown at old house, and landed house/ big house/ rich house. My friend told me again, it’s difficult to display Kadomatsu in apartement. And small arrangement instead it, and able to display in a room of apartment.

We are done talking about decoration of new year. So, what next…??…Here it is….The second tradition of new year in Japan is…about special food. What kind of food it is…When I saw one of picture that my friend shared, I was interested with some kind of food that I guess it’s special. And that true! She said, it’s a new year food, named Osechi. What is that food actually??…

image_20150107180025218

This is information that I found when I was searching about Osechi. Osechi-Ryōri are traditional Japanese new year foods. The tradition started in the Heian Period. Osechi are easily recognizable by their boxes, called Jūbako. Osechi was made by the close of previous year, as women don’t cook in the new year. Yeah…it was taboo to use hearth and cook meals during first three days of new year, except when cooking zōni.

Especially, in household where Osechi is still homemade, toshi-koshi soba is eaten on new year eve. It’s maybe symbolism about, long life, health, and energy in the upcoming year. And it’s bad luck by many Japanese to leave any toshi-koshi soba uneaten. This tradition maybe regarded to the wives who are cooking everyday for everyone at home.

image

 

Note :

  • Kadomatsu, photographed by Ryo Rakusui
  • Osechi, photographed by Miyu Nakai
  • The last picture of Osechi, taken from wikipedia
  • written by Acik Mdy / Acik Mardhiyanti
  • Do not copy this article without permissions
  • Do not reuse these photographs (except the last picture that I taken from wikipedia) anywhere else without permissions

2 comments:

  1. Hi Acik!
    You wrote a detailed article more than I told. Thank you very much. I ate Toshi - Koshi - Soba on December 31, too. "Soba" is the meaning as buckwheat noodles. The noodles are long, so we wish a long life to Japanese by eating that. I'm thankful that you could share in that with your report (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryo-san konbanwa...!!
      I try the best I could to write it:-) so how is taste Toshi-koshi Soba??...I guess it's have a great taste, right:-)
      Thank you, and have a great day;-)

      Delete

After 2 Years of Stepping Down, Where is Ichikraft Now?

About two years ago, I made the decision that the Ichikraft Etsy shop closed temporarily. However, even until this day, I am still with the ...